Call for Applications
The Bjorn Formosa Advanced Scholarship for Research into ALS/MND
Scholarship for PhD (Research) Student
ALS/Motor Neuron Disease Project 2017 to 2020
Department of Physiology & Biochemistry
Faculty of Medicine & Surgery
- Applications are invited for a scholarship for a PhD student to work on a project to study the genetic basis of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)/Motor Neuron Disease (MND). The scholarship is funded by the non-profit organisation, ALS Malta Foundation, facilitated by the Research Trust (RIDT) of the University of Malta. The project is coordinated by the University of Malta under the supervision of Dr. Ruben J. Cauchi (Department of Physiology and Biochemistry).
- Applicants must be in possession of a first degree as well as an MSc degree in biomedical sciences, biology, biochemistry, genetics, neuroscience or a related discipline, and must be eligible for PhD studies. Familiarity with qualitative research methods, previous experience with research on MND including the use of model organisms especially Drosophila, a proficiency in genetics/genomics techniques and a good publication track record will be considered as crucial assets. Motivation and interest to tackle the mechanisms underpinning MND/ALS are also key qualities.
- This scholarship shall provide a stipend of €12,500 p.a. for the full-time PhD student and covers a period of three years. The scholarship shall also provide €9000 p.a. for consumables and €5,500 to cover conferences, costs for exchange visits to collaborators and/or publication fees.
- The selected candidate is expected to enroll in the University of Malta’s PhD programme and conduct research in ALS/MND. The scholarship is for a maximum period of three years, which will be subject to the eligibility of the candidate to enroll in the Ph.D. programme.
- Candidates should submit their letter of application, copy of their curriculum vitae, one set of copies of their certificates and two letters of recommendation to email@example.com by not later than noon of noon of Friday, 3 rd February 2017. Late applications will not be considered.
- Candidates can obtain further information about the project by contacting Dr. Ruben J. Cauchi (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine & Surgery, University of Malta. Further information on the application process may be obtained from the Office for Human Resources Management on the website: http://www.um.edu.mt/hrmd/vacancies.