Assistant Lecturer, Faculty for the Built Environment
Roberta De Angelis is a paintings conservator and has been working as an Assistant Lecturer at the Department of Conservation and Built Heritage since 2012. She graduated from the Istituto Centrale per il Restauro (Rome) in 1993 and received a MPhil from the University of Malta with a thesis focusing on the degradation and conservation of an oil painting on stone in Malta in 2004. She has worked in Italy, Canada, and Malta where she has directed the conservation project of the Main Hall of Verdala Palace (2006-2008).
She is currently reading for a PhD degree entitled “The technology of wall paintings in Malta: implications for their conservation” with a specific focus on the degradation of oil paints. Her main research interests lie in the technology and degradation of wall paintings and in cleaning wall paintings.
She is an IIC member since 1993 and an ICOM member since 2017.
- 2012 Cassar, J. and De Angelis, R. The Zejtun Roman Villa: Conservation Issues”. In: The Zejtun Roman Villa: Research, Conservation, Management. Wirt iz-Zejtun, Malta.
- 2012 Lobovikov-Katz, A., Cassar, J., Konstanti, A., Labropoulos, K., Moropoulou, A., De Angelis, R. The EUROMED 4 Project “ELAICH”: e-Tools for a Teaching Environment on EU Mediterranean Cultural Heritage. In: Progress in Cultural Heritage Preservation 4th International Conference, EuroMed 2012, Limassol, Cyprus, October 29 – November 3, 2012. Proceedings.
- 2009Fardi T., De Angelis R., Bernadine Scicluna and Daniel Vella Tracing the history of wall paintings through visual documents: the vault painting of the main hall at Verdala Palace, Malta. In Hermens E. and Townsend J.H. (Eds) Sources and Serendipity: Testimonies of Artists’ Practice. Collection of papers from the third symposium of the Art Technological Source Research Working Group held in 2008. Archetype Publications.
- 2005 De Angelis R., Cassar J. e Kakoulli I., Degrado e problematiche conservative di un dipinto ad olio su pietra a Malta. In Sulle Pitture Murali. Riflessioni, Conoscenze, Interventi, XXI Convegno Internazionale Scienza e Beni Culturali, 12-15 luglio, Bressanone: 135-145.
- 2004De Angelis R., Cassar J., Kakoulli I. and Colombini M.P., Oil Painting on stone: a case study on original technique and deterioration of an early 20th century painting by G. Calì in Malta. In Stone 2004, 10th International Congress on Deterioration and Conservation of Stone, 27 June – 2 July, Stockholm, Sweden: 793-800.